AmeriCorps week is a time to recognize the hard work and dedication of AmeriCorps members and alums. This year, AmeriCorps Week is March 9-17, 2013. Across the nation, organizations like PNA Village are able to function and carry out their mission because of AmeriCorps support.
AmeriCorps Fast Facts
- 800,000: Number of individuals who have served as AmeriCorps members since 1994.
- 1 Billion: Total number of hours served by AmeriCorps members.
- 5.2 Billion: Number of disadvantaged youth tutored, mentored, or served by AmeriCorps members.
- $2.4 Billion: Total amount of Segal AmeriCorps Education Awards earned by AmeriCorps members.
- 4 Million: Number of community volunteers managed or mobilized by AmeriCorps members in 2012.
- 15,000: Number of nonprofit, faith-based, and community organizations that AmeriCorps members serve with.
- $480 Million: Value of non-CNCS* cash and in-kind donations leveraged by AmeriCorps programs in 2010.
The above facts show how AmeriCorps members give to their communities and how the communities give back! The Segal AmeriCorps Education Awards are given to AmeriCorps members upon completing their service. These awards are used to pay off undergraduate loans or to put towards graduate education. Through helping the community, AmeriCorps members gain essential skills, knowledge, and experience that will aid in their future education and career paths.
Celebrate AmeriCorps week by learning more about the program at: http://www.nationalservice.gov.
*The Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS) is a federal agency that engages more than 4 million Americans in service through Senior Corps, AmeriCorps, and the Social Innovation Fund, and leads President Obama’s national call to service initiative, United We Serve.